Seriously people these waffle burgers are the BEST, they are SO good! Once you have made sweet potato waffles you will never go back to lettuce wraps or a bun again. This is only my second time making them and I already can’t wait to make them again – they are that good! The waffle recipe comes out of my favorite cookbook, Well Fed 2.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- tbsp melted coconut oil
- 500 g extra lean hamburger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup white onion, chopped
- Toppings - homemade mayo, lettuce, tomato, bacon, onions, mushrooms, avocado, jalepenos
- For the sweet potato waffles, place the grated potatoes in a big bowl along with the beaten egg, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar. Stir to combine. Preheat a waffle iron on medium heat and brush the grates with melted coconut oil. Place approximately 1 cup of sweet potato in the iron and cook for 10 minutes, until browned and cook through. Place the waffle on a pan and put in the oven on 200 F to keep warm. Repeat.
- For the hamburger, mix the hamburger, egg, garlic & onion powder and chopped onions. Form patties and place in skillet over medium heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes until done.
- Make your BLT burgers! Serve with a salad - YUM! YUM!
Mel Joulwan, Well Fed 2 cookbook has so many amazing recipes!! It’s a must have!
What do the critic’s say?
*Kes has not tried the waffles yet but loves everything else!