In keeping with my challenge theme of eating more Spinach this week, I found an intriguing recipe that I thought had potential and I made it even better. This was such a quick and delicious meal. It received a 5 and a “this is one of your top 3 recipes” from everyone in the family. I love it when a meal that takes less than 1/2 hour to prep and cook is loved by all. The cashew base cream sauce is definitely what makes this meal.
- 2 zucchini squash (spiralized)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cashews
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1⅓ cups chicken broth
- 6 chicken thighs
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups spinach
- fresh basil
- In the morning, put your cashews in a bowl and pour water over top of them. Let them soak for the day. I have made the sauce without soaking them for very long and it still works.
- Prep your zucchini noodles with the spiralizer at least ½ hour before the meal. Lay them out on a baking sheet lined with paper towels and sprinkle sea salt over them. This allows some of the water to come out of the zucchini and makes them better noodles.
- To make the cashew cream sauce, add the garlic, lemon juice, chicken broth and salt to the food processor. Blend. Drain the water from the cashews and add the cashews to the processor. Blend. Taste. Adjust to desired thickness and taste i.e. add more garlic, lemon or broth.
- Chop the chicken thighs into small bite sizes. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and cook undisturbed for at least 5 minutes per side. You want the chicken to be brown and crispy. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Leave the juices in the pan.
- Cook the onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the zucchini and cook for 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the chicken and cream sauce and cook for approximately 5 minutes to warm the sauce and the chicken.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve immediately.
What the critic’s say?