This week I am embracing the Spring Fever challenge and have been incorporating spinach into my meals. For breakfast this morning, I tried a new spinach smoothie out on the family. Last week we had the Berry Spinach Smoothie and not one person asked me what was in it. Well today was a different story because the smoothie was GREEN. I actually thought this one tasted better than last weeks but the kids (& husband) were not impressed with the color. Funny. My husband even asked why I put spinach in the smoothie. Too funny. Everyone ended up drinking it and enjoying but it was a bit more of a battle compared to the blue spinach smoothie. This mornings smoothie contained Almond Milk, Banana, Pineapple, Mango and Spinach. So delicious. I love that everyone is starting the day off with a green vegetable.
I needed a quick meal tonight because we had Hockey Awards at 6 o’clock so I chose the green chicken soup not really thinking about the “green” smoothie experience from the morning. My poor husband sat down for dinner wondering what the heck was going on with me. The good news is the soup was delicious and everyone enjoyed. This soup is good smooth but even better if you add chicken bites or shrimp. We added chicken and it was so yum.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2½ teaspoons cumin
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups kale
- 2 cups spinach
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cononut milk
- 6 chicken thighs cooked and chopped (or 3 cups shrimp)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onions, garlic and cumin. Stir and cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add the broccoli, kale, spinach and chicken broth. Cook for 10 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add the cooked chicken pieces (or shrimp) and coconut milk. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm. Drizzle with coconut milk and top with pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds.
What do the critic’s say?